Coming changes

Rosleen

Veteran
Supporter
May 31, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
it makes no sense to me that the map with with the all perks is the one where people have permanent storage and many already have 1000's of everything, ability to make permanent xp farms and all. And the map where all is hardcore is the one where people go because they just wanna build. In my head it makes perfect sense the other way around !!
what gnaz said. makes no sense to me either .Seasonal =perks . Permanent = no perks

More than anything it has to do with which part of our player base tend to use the map. A large chunk of the people playing on permanent, are also the people who don't have much time on their hand, and once in a while has a minute to play a little.

Essentially Permanent is intended to be the casual experience, while the people who have more time to play, tend to also like a bit more of a challenge.

Reactions: Captain_Marko

xiphoid24

Seasoned
Aug 30, 2017
what gnaz said. makes no sense to me either .Seasonal =perks . Permanent = no perks
To elaborate on what Ros said, it's less about length of time and more about play style. Permanent = casual meaning laid back and usually less time to do anything. Permanent was created to cater to the players who do not get much built in a single season and may not even have the time to build an xp farm. That's not to say other cannot build there and build farms, it's focus it just for those who have less time and more laid back.
Season = Increased difficulty. It's designed for players who have more time to play and enjoy the thrill of building things quickly and want a challenge.

Reactions: Rosleen

Krunn

Seasoned
Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
Not quite sure how you can define permanent as casual / laid back for people who dont have much time. They have all the time in the world as that believe it or not thats what permanent means. if they build something today it will be there when they come back , weather that be in two weeks or a year .
Its the main reason i went to vanilla in that it was going to be permanent with no frills

As for seasonal you are making it harder and in a shorter time.
Seasonal should have the frills and should really be treated somewhat a creative affair so people can get things done quicker.

RIP Vanilla im sad to say

Gnazghoul

Seasoned
Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
RIP Vanilla im sad to say

I cant wrap my head around the logic here either.
But i guess it is what it is.

Is it possible to move builds or just items out off vanilla ?

xiphoid24

Seasoned
Aug 30, 2017
permanent as casual / laid back for people who dont have much time. They have all the time in the world
I think you may have answered you own question. Permanent is laid back and casual for players like me because I do not have any time to play but there is no deadline I have to finish my build by. If I were to play on seasonal I would feel rushed and never get anything built within a year, which is the season length, because I don't have much time in my personal life to play.

Reactions: Captain_Marko

Krunn

Seasoned
Supporter
Nov 7, 2018
i didnt ask a a question i just stated a fact, if you have all the time in the world why do you need all the frills

xiphoid24

Seasoned
Aug 30, 2017
Sorry I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have all the time in the world. I have almost zero time to play. I love hangouts but I get to play a few hours a month. Yes I realize this is my own personal problem but there are other players here who have the same situation. Those frills make playing those few hours worth it because it is more casual and less intense. It would probably take a player like me a year or so just to build a single farm. I understand it's not just about me this is just my personal experience and understanding of the proposed world setup.

Taimimimi

Seasoned
Supporter
Oct 13, 2018
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
I dont like it. I hate hard mode, I love all the goodies and perks but I don't want to travel far for new 1.17/18 things. so for me its ...suboptimal.

on the other hand, I understand the need to reduce costs and I seem to be the only one not liking it (as usual :D )

will permanent be the only one with armorstand book and the better wandering trader?

Rosleen

Veteran
Supporter
May 31, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
I dont like it. I hate hard mode, I love all the goodies and perks but I don't want to travel far for new 1.17/18 things. so for me its ...suboptimal.

on the other hand, I understand the need to reduce costs and I seem to be the only one not liking it (as usual :D )

will permanent be the only one with armorstand book and the better wandering trader?

The permanent map will as usual have transport teleports, so you wont have to travel far at all :)

And we haven't discussed the wandering trader/armorstand setup yet, but it's one of the details we need to figure out now that we have had some input from you all.

Captain_Marko

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
I'm such a permanent player, a new one in fact. I found I did not have the time or ability (illness) to work on my seasonal build so I recently started moving to perm, as I knew that I would lose all my mats if I did not do that before the reset.

Permanent gives me the ability to come and build when I am able without the feeling that it will sooner or later be destroyed. It therefore suits many here.

I certainly don't have " ... all the time in the world..." I'm rapidly approaching 70 years old! :p;)

Unfortunately we are forced into "slimming down" due to:

a. The cost of the current servers not being fully met by donations.

b. The increasing time required to set up & maintain those servers, their backends ( backup systems and a ton of other stuff) and the forum - these things are invisible to most players yet are a lot of work. There are many plugins that are vital to function but they break, go wonky or are abandoned by their developers.

We all owe huge thanks to Steve for carrying the bulk of that highly technical work despite being a very busy bloke, he recently spent a whole day trying to find plugins that would work with .17 & .18 - many of those that we currently use are not yet updated, some are abandoned and likely never will be.

So sadly we can please some of the people some of the time but .... etc

CBenni

Seasoned
Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
And we haven't discussed the wandering trader/armorstand setup yet, but it's one of the details we need to figure out now that we have had some input from you all.
I am 100% for having these things, they just add to the experience and are fun little details (and being datapacks, I guess theyre super low maintenance?)
As for what gnaz and krunn said regarding having those perks (like graves and xp shower), I can see those being more useful on seasonal, leaving perm to be a much more vanilla-ey experience.
(Though graves are an essential part of my WIP amongus map... so having those be enable-able for minigames would be excellent :D)

Reactions: Taimimimi

Rosleen

Veteran
Supporter
May 31, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am 100% for having these things, they just add to the experience and are fun little details (and being datapacks, I guess theyre super low maintenance?)
As for what gnaz and krunn said regarding having those perks (like graves and xp shower), I can see those being more useful on seasonal, leaving perm to be a much more vanilla-ey experience.
(Though graves are an essential part of my WIP amongus map... so having those be enable-able for minigames would be excellent :D)

The trouble is, if we make both maps somewhat the same difficulty (vanilla being permanent, but seasonal having perks) then we are only satisfying the preferred difficulty of a certain part of the player base. It doesn't let the people who don't have much time, have anywhere where they can play without having to spend a lot of time setting up.

It's important to remember how wide a spectrum of people and play styles we actually have.

Reactions: xiphoid24

EP43

Seasoned
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona USA
Yup! I agree with Gnaz and Krunn. That way the needed XP farms and such are... permanent! Slim down the perks on Perm (though I love the grvave mod) but can deal with making XP farms and flying or nether travel to get around and not need the Teleport.

Last edited:

EP43

Seasoned
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona USA
This will be controversial, but it almost seems perm map (and its mining map) should be dropped, carry on with Vanilla and new Seasonal map (with perks) with 1.17/1.18 update. The biggest issue for vanilla would be how to handle updates.

I realize that somewhat contradicts my previous statement. but a slim perk perm map is close to what we have on Vanilla now. Not same, but close.

Last edited:

Bumphinger

Seasoned
Supporter
Jun 26, 2020
I fully support what the staff feel they need to do to make the server more cost effective and less onerous to administer. I’m just grateful there’s a server to keep coming back to. I’m good with the proposed changes but I can totally see why others may not. I made my home on permanent and the set up suits my penchant for insane long term projects (from which I’m currently taking a small break from). I would still be happy on permanent even if it had fewer perks. All I’m really after is no mob greifing and the dynmap.

Regarding the closing of current worlds (testing, vanilla, etc), can these be made available as downloads? I know I’d love to have a copy of the build school stuff to look at from time to time. Also, will there any option to have builds moved from vanilla over to permanent? Not that I have anything to move myself but given vanilla was also a ‘permanent’ it might be a nice gesture for those with super long term builds there (not that I’m trying to make more work for staff )

Server Cost Donations

Total amount
$205.00
Goal
$200.00