Permanent Request: temporarily set permanent mining to hard mode

CBenni

Seasoned
Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Hey there,

I am currently setting up a pretty big villager trading hall on perm mining, in my mining area. The server is currently in normal mode; this means that when a zombie kills a villager, there's a 50% chance for it to just die and be gone, and a 50% chance to become a zombie villager.
Basically, this means that to cure them three times, you need to breed up 8x as many villagers as you actually end up needing. Considering I need an estimated 500 villagers (taking into account villagers that I discard after locking in trades), this seems like a problem... having to breed up ~4000 villagers to fill my hall.

I wanted to ask around if it were community-acceptable to have perm mining in hard mode for the time being (where the chance is 100%), significantly reducing the amount of time and effort that goes into this. I can deal without it, but considering I am probably the only one super actively playing on perm mining right now, I felt like this change wouldn't impact anyone else in any meaningful way. Since the main permanent server is unaffected, this shouldn't cause any issues, right?
In a few weeks, when I am done, this could then be changed back, depending on what the players want.

would love to hear your thoughts,
Benni

Reactions: Taimimimi

Captain_Marko

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Much as I love your builds :cool: I don't think it's a good idea- I for one will be actively mining there this week as I have nearly run out of stone etc for my perm build.

I'm a slow player & a bad miner too, so hard mode would impact my ability and increase the dangers to an unacceptable level. Perm is designed to be "soft" for players who prefer it that way :)

Let's hear from some others on perm too!

CBenni

Seasoned
Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Alright, I understand that - I just rarely saw anyone on perm mining, didn't know you actively used it.
If it ruins your experience, we shouldn't be doing this.
Unless we can find a compromise (a switch at spawn, maybe? should be easy to set up with command blocks)

Reactions: Captain_Marko

B01E

Veteran
Mar 22, 2016
Denmark
Server Map Link
View on Map
It's not a problem for me, personally, but I can see where others can find this too difficult. Mobs deal more damage, and you can die from starvation.

But I can help YOU, Marko. I have tons and tons of stone in my base on permanent, as I live underground, and mining that out made a LOT of stones. You are welcome to what you need. I have a haunted house right next to the newsstand at spawn, and the button inside will put you in my storage room. Feel free to take as many stone as you need (be warned, though - the storage room might cause lag on your computer). Or if you want, I can deliver them to you, if you have a spawn house?

Captain_Marko

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Thank you all very much. I will grab some of that stone, likely from you Boye as seems like the least hassle for all.

I will be visiting mining to grab other mats I need so my point still stands I think, I do not think that we should compromise the "soft" play experience of Perm.

I have concentration and fine motor issues these days ( some due to increasing years and the rest to an illness) and I am not very accurate in my MC movements! I have fought mobs on Perm main and found it much more difficult than last year, so I avoid them totally now and either sleep or stay in at night.

Thanks folks you're the best.

CBenni

Seasoned
Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Maybe its time for that mob switch x)
I could actually set that up quite easily - a mob switch is something where with the flick of a lever no mobs will spawn in the entire world and that's entirely vanilla.
With 1.17 shulker "breeding", these are insanely easy to set up.

Either way, I totally understand your point marko, which is why I opened up this discussion.
As I said, I can go without, while you cant go with, so we wont be changing anything, unless you admins want to set up a quick switch at spawn that allows us to enable/disable hard mode at will.

Jan 25, 2019
I think we might have fix-curing-zombie-villager-discount-exploit set to true on our server, which means repeated cures don't improve the discount. Either that or I'm doing something wrong over on seasonal

CBenni

Seasoned
Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
ah crap... that makes sense. Darn, now ive already cured all of my librarians... Not gonna redo that tho lol (unless we enable hard mode, in which case I cant lose them)

Then again, I have enough emeralds for the few books I need anyways. Its more important for the masons etc.
Thanks Amaris and good catch, QCT

Server Cost Donations

Total amount
$205.00
Goal
$200.00