Seasonal Voxelmap data sharing

Do you want this?

• Total voters

Gwydz

Veteran
Some of us are going to really miss dynmap! But for those of us who use Voxelmap, there is a crude way to sort of have a full map. Amaris and I did this on season 3 and it worked, but has it's quirks. Voxelmap keeps it's data stored in little zip files - each represent an area of the world you've been to. If Amaris has been to an area that I haven't been to, I can copy her files to my folder and then I see what she's seen plus what I've seen.

The quirk comes into play with date stamps. If we have both been to the same area it would replace my data. If she hasn't been to that area for a month, but I was there yesterday then I lose what I had and only see what was there a month ago. If I go back, the data is updated and I see the current stuff. This is only a factor if you want to see details of an area like builds. While that's a nice feature, it isn't the goal of this thread.

I'm more interested in seeing areas I haven't been to for potential resource gathering or base building. For instance - where is the nearest mesa biome? Sure, I could ask in chat but what if no one is online at the time? If I had imported data from other people who had been there, I'd know what direction to go.

The issue is with sharing the data - it has to be done manually. Amaris noticed a way to share waypoints if both players are in-game, but a full map share isn't an option. So we'll have to use something like drop box to share our data. We can't use zip files in the forums, it takes up too much hard drive space on the forum server.

If there's enough interest in the idea, we'll figure out a way to do this.

I've never been able to get a mini-map of any kind working, but I vote yes as it seems useful.

Another alternative if you only need to find where biomes etc are would be for a staffer to use the seasonal seed to create a biome map. Static and not live ofc.

https://www.chunkbase.com/apps/seed-map

I miss a live map as I get disoriented easily, it's very useful for staff purposes too. I saved images of perm and perm mining for navigation, but of course they are not zoomable and are lo-res.

What is the expensive part about dynmap, is it the continuous rendering of the map or serving it to the clients that browse the map?
If its the first, maybe we can find a tool that generates a map once a day, so instead of a real-time map we will have a a static map with some nice features. Something like http://docs.overviewer.org/en/latest/ comes to mind. Maybe we can even disable automatic updates in dynmap and only update it every few hours? Not entirely sure how that works, but I read about that online.

If its the second, maybe we can offer a download a full voxelmap for the entire thing for everyone to use, after which they can explore the builds of players themselves?

Just two potential technical solutions to a solvable problem :>
Other than that, I've been fine using voxelmap as-is, but obviously, finding player bases is gonna be harder. Maybe we can have a biome map where everyone can mark their location easily?

@Amaris It's worth a try! BTW PNG are a bigger file size than jpg for not much gain tbh.
What is the expensive part about dynmap, is it the continuous rendering of the map or serving it to the clients that browse the map?
If its the first, maybe we can find a tool that generates a map once a day, so instead of a real-time map we will have a a static map with some nice features. Something like http://docs.overviewer.org/en/latest/ comes to mind. Maybe we can even disable automatic updates in dynmap and only update it every few hours? Not entirely sure how that works, but I read about that online.

If its the second, maybe we can offer a download a full voxelmap for the entire thing for everyone to use, after which they can explore the builds of players themselves?

Just two potential technical solutions to a solvable problem :>
Other than that, I've been fine using voxelmap as-is, but obviously, finding player bases is gonna be harder. Maybe we can have a biome map where everyone can mark their location easily?

@CBenni It's all expensive is the short answer. Initial renders swallow all server RAM & CPU and create lag and login issues for up to a day or more, weekly updates are likely to cause some issues for several hours unless there are few build or exploration changes. map file sizes are huge a large map will be in excess of 50GB, the maps are made up of 1000s of tiles. We are looking at a couple of alts as you can see.

Last edited:
Haven't been on in a while, but I like Voxelmap. I understand the expense of the live maps, but they were SO helpful. Whatever solutions/ improvements can be put in place; Thank You!

Hey all, this link is to my voxel data for Seasonal for the overworld, if this works for people i will do other worlds similarly.

Instructions:
  1. locate .minecraft folder
  2. open voxelmap folder
  3. open cache folder
  4. locate server.hangoutmc.com (newest date as there may be multiple)
  5. find seasonal world (or whatever name you use for the Seasonal world)
  6. make a copy of the overworld folder to somewhere else on your pc (just in case)
  7. delete the overworld folder
  8. download the above link unzip it and add the folder into your server.hangoutmc.com seasonal folder
  9. once done, launch Minecraft and you should have all my generated data for seasonal.
  10. let me know if it works!

I imported the file and it worked fine!
If you know there is data in your file that's newer than hers, you can tell it to Not Replace existing files. This will keep your existing data and not overwrite it.

There may be a folder inside a folder. once unzipped check if you open the overworld folder its a list of zipped files if so that should work, if its another folder called overworld copy that folder instead.

Server Cost Donations

Total amount
$75.00
Goal
$200.00
Back