Memorial Project

TiggerBlueMom

Administrator
Staff member
Supporter
The lack of acknowledgement of the people who are dying from Covid in the US has really been bothering me. Inspired by the Uncensored Library, I came up with the idea of creating a world wide memorial in Minecraft. I have come up with a concept using map art (or course), and have been working it out in a creative world and using the World Painter program to create the world for the memorial.

I am at a point now where I would like to share what I am doing. Would welcome feedback and ideas!

Below is a description of the project, along with screen shots. At the end are specific areas I am looking for ideas for.

To hopefully make things clearer here are terms I am using:
- World - refers to the minecraft world that the memorial is in.
- Plot - refers to the specific area of the world that a map is created from
- Map - is the map created from a plot

The whole concept starts with a black map that has 1000 white dots on it. The plot this map is created from is the "center" of the world. I use sea lanterns to create the dots along with some beacons, because of the visual effect at the plot. I call this the dot plot/map.
2020-07-06_14.04.58.png

Each country would have it's own plot onto which copies of the dot map would be put, one for every 1000 people who have died there. This would create black dots on the country's map.
2020-07-06_18.43.09.png

On the plot the dots are actually 3x3 to make them bigger on the map
2020-07-06_14.03.46.png

I have come up with a layout where the countries are grouped by continent, the gray square would be where the dot plot is located.
2020-07-06_14.05.36.png

There is a large area (almost 600 x 600 blocks) around the dot plot that is open. My idea for this area is that is would be an area like the Mall in Washington D.C. Kind of a park like area with museums and memorials. This is where you would spawn into the world.
Screenshot 2020-07-06 14.40.05.png

There would be displays of the maps of all the countries, both individually and in groups. I would also like to include memorials here to other issues going on in the world right now (one example would be Black Lives Matter).
2020-07-06_14.07.00.png

There would be buttons or pressure plates to take you to each country's plot. There will be a ton of open space on the country plots, in which I want to have something to represent the country. Don't know yet what this would be, but probably not the same type of thing even. Maybe a type of architecture for one place, but a plant or symbol for others. Another possibility would be to recreate the country flags so that they would appear on the maps.

2020-07-06_14.04.02.png

The idea I came up for around the edge of the memorial area is a mesa wall that goes all the way to the build limit. outside of this there is also a world border.
Screenshot 2020-07-06 14.40.54.png

I have also used World Painter to put a forest all around the memorial by the wall.
2020-07-05_13.40.15.png

And this is where I am currently at, and kind of out of ideas. Here are the things I am looking for ideas/help with:

- An overall design for the central area. Whether to keep it flat or terraform it. Paths, plantings, etc.
- Had the idea of making the dot plot lower that the rest of the area, so you would look down on it like in the first screen shot.
- Ideas for the spaces between the continents. These areas are approximately 88 blocks wide.
- Ideas for individual memorials/museums.
- Ideas for individual countries.
- And, of course, your thoughts on the project as a whole.

Kelly (aka TBM) :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-04 10.09.02.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-04 10.09.02.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 1
T if I can contribute I want to .... Black lives matter ... Covid-10 is real and not gone. .... I am lousy at computer stuff but with some persistance I can help .... waight for it ................. ^_^

Hey Kelly,

I love the Mesa wall around this :)
I think it would be great to have a meeting on dicord about this with everyone who is interested. Maybe this weekend or so? That way we could brainstorm together!

I have a question about the countries - What are the 4 quadrants in a country for?
Also I think flags would be good as it would be so much easier to spot your own country :)

Kelly, such a mind-bogglingly great idea! It will take me a while to get my mind wrapped completely around this, but I'll see if I can come up with an idea or two.

Hey Kelly,

I love the Mesa wall around this :)
I think it would be great to have a meeting on dicord about this with everyone who is interested. Maybe this weekend or so? That way we could brainstorm together!

I have a question about the countries - What are the 4 quadrants in a country for?
Also I think flags would be good as it would be so much easier to spot your own country :)
Love the idea of a discord meeting this weekend! The usual time on Saturday sound good? (That's 20 CEST/2pm Eastern)

Glad you asked about the 4 quadrants, I forgot that in my description. Each one can hold 10 x 10 array of the black dots, which would be 100,000 people.

I uploaded the memorial world (the one I created with the mesa wall) to my realms account. If you would like to log on and take a look, let me know and I will white list you. Only 10 people can log in at once, but I can white list more than that.

Because the same dot map is used for all the countries, would not be able to do different colored dots on the country maps. But, building a memorial in the central area to health care workers would be a great idea! Could show how many have died there.

Lik had the idea of having rivers in between the continents. Have been working on them and I think it looks great. just some basic terraforming so far, but wanted to share some screen shots.

Near the edge of the map:
2020-07-13_23.25.55.png

Junction of 2 rivers:
2020-07-13_23.26.38.png

River in more of a valley near the middle. In middle rivers will flow into inland sea.
2020-07-13_23.27.01.png

Loving the shape of the rivers Kelly!
Maybe try a bit more water tho? There is still so much green left. ;) If you take the deepest option and fill it up like 5-7 level higher?

Once I figured out my technique, I have made lots of progress. My plan is to upload the world to my realm tonight, where ever it is at, so people can log on to see. If anyone else wants to be white listed to it, just let me know. I plan to go to the poker game tomorrow, but could talk about this before that if anyone wanted.

Have the basics of all the rivers the inland sea laid out.
Screenshot 2020-07-16 09.20.07.pngScreenshot 2020-07-16 09.20.28.png

Played around some with maps.
Can get the whole area in the middle of 4 maps. There is a lot of open space around the edge, but not enough that I could get the whole area onto one map.2020-07-16_07.15.38.png

Here is a series of maps showing the stages of expansion:
2020-07-16_07.33.52.png2020-07-16_07.33.54.png2020-07-16_07.33.56.png2020-07-16_07.33.57.png2020-07-16_07.33.59.png

Here is a picture where you can see all 5 of them at once:2020-07-16_07.34.31.png

Here are some shots of the dot map area in the middle of the inland sea.
2020-07-16_09.04.37.png2020-07-16_09.04.51.png

To make the different levels of water work I had to have the wall that forms the waterfall higher than the inland sea water. That is why the waterfall does not yet go all the way around yet.
2020-07-16_09.05.23.png

Here is where a river meets the sea. I have made the rivers get gradually lower as they move into the middle of the map, just like a real one would. That is why there is so much of a hill at this point. Still playing with the size of the rivers and want to play with ground cover and trees along the rivers too.2020-07-16_09.15.11.png2020-07-16_09.15.30.png

Raised the hills that are just inside the wall to make the rivers works better. This corner is my favorite so far.
2020-07-16_09.25.14.png

Playing with different ways the rivers "start" at the wall. This one and one other are waterfalls, plan to make one come out of a cave at the base of the wall. Still have to figure out the others.
2020-07-16_09.28.13.png2020-07-16_09.28.21.png2020-07-16_09.28.22.png

I'm loving all of this! The middle waterfall is beautifully shaped. =))
Also I think that 4-tile map is great and could be placed at several points on the continents for orientation.

I have started to play with plantings and trees around the rivers. Have a little of this in the world I uploaded to my realm last night, but not happy with the effect yet. I have downloaded some tree packs to use with WorldPainter, but need to spend some time looking through them to see if there are better options.

Are those random blocks at the shore placed with worldpainter? As in, did you find the "randomize this defined blockpallette in this area" function?

Yes, with WorldPainter. You can create a "custom material" that you "paint" on existing terrain. You pick the block types you want and relative amounts you want of each and the program randomizes placement. The trees, flowers and grasses work the same way, they are just "custom layers" instead because they are added on top of existing terrain. Once I have the right "mix" I can just paint where I want it to appear and the program generates it when I export the world. I can even go in and adjust the mix after I have painted the area I want it to appear in and it will have the new mix the next time I export the world. Since you can't really tell what it is going to look like in WorldPainter, have been doing a lot of adjusting then exporting to check in MC, then adjusting more, etc.

For the "river bank" and "river bed" I started with the mix of materials that the guy used in the tutorial videos I watched and tweaked them a little.

LOL, that might have been much more of an answer than you were looking for :D

Server Cost Donations

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$200.00
Back